Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Interesting Articles

Today I found some interesting articles that I thought everyone should read in their free time.

1. The Spread of Obesity in a Large Social Network over 32 Years click
-
This study was published in the New England Journal of Medicine and it had 3 main findings:
1.
A person's chances of becoming obese increased by 57% if he or she had a friend that became obese.
2.
Among pairs of adult siblings, if one sibling became obese, the chance that the other would become obese increased by 40%.
3.
If one spouse became obese, the likelihood that the other spouse would become obese increased by 37%.

2. Why We Have Affairs - And Why Not To Tell click
- This article was featured in Time magazine and provided informative conclusions on why people cheat and why it is better not to tell the other person. The important facts that I took away from this article were:

1. Most people do not intend to cheat. Most people are in committed relationships, but aren't completely happy. At first the affair begins very innocently and before you realize it you're cheating on your spouse.

2. Affairs can never last.

3. Do not confess if you are feeling guilty. Causing someone terrible pain does not make a person feel less guilty. The author said, "
So I tell people, if you care that much about honesty, figure out who you want to be with, commit to that relationship and devote the rest of your life to making it the most honest relationship you can."

4. There are many reasons why people cheat.

5. Get a prenup!


3. Unhappy? Self-Critical? Maybe You're a Perfectionist click

- This article was featured in the New York Times and I thought it was incredibly interesting. It helped me figure out reasons why I am not entirely happy. I realized that the reason I am unhappy is because I set unreal expectations for myself and thus can never achieve them. The main thing I took away from the article is that being a perfectionist is bad for your health and people that take pride in being a perfectionist are crazy